San Francisco Immigration Attorneys

A divorce can affect an individual’s immigration status – especially if the couple has been married for less than two years. At Wiley & Jobson, we help clients who are facing a divorce and have questions about the immigration consequences that may occur.

To learn how our immigration lawyers can help you remain in the United States, contact our San Francisco law firm by calling 415-627-9161.

I-751 – Petition to Remove Conditions of Residence

When you receive a greencard based on a marriage that is less than 2 years old, the green card will have a 2 year condition placed on it. The couple must apply to have this condition on the immigrant spouse’s residence removed. Otherwise, the USCIS may terminate your status.

The petition to remove the conditions must be applied for within the 90 days preceding the expiration of the immigrant spouse’s two year conditional resident status. This is done through an I-751 form. If approved, the spouse’s immigration status will be extended to a 10-year green card.

Find out more about removing the two-year condition.

I-751 – Divorced or Filing Alone

Are you an immigrant divorced from your U.S. citizen spouse? You can still file an I-751 application to remove your residency conditions. There is a chance that your waiver application will be approved, if the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) believes that you entered the marriage in good faith. You can also file alone if you are subjected to domestic violence during your marriage, or if you will suffer extreme hardship if deported.

Immigration Lawyers

At Wiley & Jobson, we aim to fulfill all of your immigration law needs:

Are you getting a divorce? We can assist you with completing the I-751 petition to remove the two-year condition.

Did your U.S. citizen spouse sponsor your children? We can explain the legal options available for staying in the United States.

Are you the victim of domestic violence? We can examine your situation and determine if the immigration law provisions governing domestic violence apply.

Do you have additional questions regarding the immigration consequences of divorce? We can answer all of your questions and address all of your concerns during our consultations.

Contact a San Francisco Immigration Attorney

For more information about immigration and becoming a permanent resident of the U.S., contact our law firm by calling 415-627-9161.