San Francisco Bay Area U Visas Lawyers

Berkeley Immigrant Crime Victim Attorneys

Individuals who are the victims of certain crimes can apply for a nonimmigrant visa called a U visa. This visa gives the individual temporary legal status and makes him or her eligible to work while in the U.S., for up to four years. After three years the visa holder can apply for lawful permanent residence. A U visa applicant can also apply for visas for certain qualifying relatives, such as spouses and children. In addition, in some cases an individual who assisted the victim in reporting the crime can request a visa along with the principal applicant.

Types of Crimes

In order for an individual’s U visa application and form I-918 to be considered, there are a number of requirements that must be met. The candidate must have suffered physical or mental anguish and/or abuse due to the crime that he or she has experienced or witnessed, including (but not limited to):

  • Domestic violence
  • Extortion
  • Kidnapping
  • Trafficking
  • Rape and other sex crimes
  • Witness tampering
  • Hostage situations
  • False imprisonment
  • Felonious assault
  • Prostitution
  • Perjury
  • Obstruction of justice
  • Murder or manslaughter
  • Solicitation to commit a crime

In order to qualify for a U visa, an applicant must have been helpful in the investigation or prosecution of the crime. A critical part of the U visa application is obtaining certification from either the police or a prosecutor that the applicant assisted law enforcement. Our immigration law office can assist in obtaining the proper certifications required.

Contact Our San Francisco U Visa Attorneys

If you believe that you are a candidate for a U visa, talking with an experienced immigration lawyer can help you understand if you do qualify. To learn more about U visas or other types of visas, contact our office at 415-627-9161.